Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentines invitation

This declamation was out of the ordinary. My classmate, Reuben, and I gave a declamation together. We wrote two sonnets. I said my firs quatrain and he interrupted me from the balcony of the Nuart with the next quatrain. Then, as he ran down the stairs to join me in the front, I said the next quatrain. Best declaiming experience ever.


Joseph: Today we celebrate Saint Valentine;
Defended love and marriage with his life
From Emp’ror Claudius’ ban which was malign.
And thus he quelled the ever sad’ning strife
Reuben: We will forget traditions of the past,
But love forever stands and lets us know
The trials that we face we can outlast;
Our hope-filled hearts will vanquish any foe.
Joseph: My son, the words you speak are very trite-
For freshmen love is not allowed to be-
Your sorry quibbles, put them out of sight.
Think only of “associate degree”.
Reuben: Your constipated soul you must release!
Joseph: Your mushy little feelings must now cease!

Reuben: But so insensitive you have become;
Delighting things of beauty you ignore.
Your unimpassioned self must now succumb,
For freshmen celebrations do adore.

Joseph: Dear chap I do believe you got me wrong.
I don’t command festivities forgo.
In fact, you know, I’ll gladly come along,
And Honor to Creation’s Crown bestow.
Reuben: A feast in house of Courtney we will host,
So bring your party faces and some pies,
And to your health dear classmates we will toast,
To gladden all your days with this surprise.
Joseph: And Valentine’s tradition will be kept.
Reuben: We hope our invitation you accept.

No comments:

Post a Comment