Saturday, February 2, 2013

Declamation about Latin, using commonplaces


     What am I to thee that thou shouldest command me to love thee, and be angry with me, and threaten me with great mischiefs, unless I do love thee? Death is nothing, but to live with a minime is to die daily. Think of Latin as Christianity. The grammar quizzes are the Ten Commandments and they are there to condemn you. I try to enjoy a slap in the face and love the unexpected, but Latin is a continuous onslaught. But if Latin was purely pessimistic and opposed to life, I was prepared to blow up Friendship Square. But Latin is not that terrible and it’s always better with cocaine. It teaches us humility; to imitate Jesus, Socrates and Hans Oerberg. Magister took from us the right to be boneheads; we no longer stand around grunting and pointing. Logic will take you from A to B, Latin will take you everywhere, like purgatory, Magister’s office, hell, the bagel shop, a psychiatrist. Latin keeps us sane, because those who really believe in themselves are all in lunatic asylums. And always remember: The true discipulus studies not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him, his tergum.

No comments:

Post a Comment