Saturday, December 21, 2013

Ramblings

Make everyday the best day of your life. It is an unexchangeable gift from your Creator; don't spoil it. Bless others by giving of yourself instead of taking to satisfy your selfish desires. God will take care of you. Flee to Him in your troubles. Lose yourself in his presence like a child in his father's lap.

It has been too long. Rip van Winkle has finally risen and feels morally obligated to write. Who knows? Maybe someone is starving for my scribblings. (Which would be weird, since I try to keep this blog a secret. To make me feel a little more accomplished than just keeping word documents; and maybe one day some unsuspecting web surfer will stumble upon it and enjoy.) I think that my writing has atrophied. For the last semester in school I haven't had to be creative with words except for a history paper. My issue with history papers is that they make me feel boring. There's a little voice commanding me how to write, "Regurgitate information! Draw connections! Sound interesting! Don't use expletives!" History papers shouldn't be like that, that was just my natural tendency; commanding those little vowels and consonants to march, march, do my bidding, parade in a circle in a way that makes their poor little legs sore. I, their master, have enslaved them for my selfish purposes.
We used to be friends, language and I, and we shall be again. I'll have the joy of trying to  embody an idea and see a word peep out, fulfilling all my dreams and more. All that just for the reader to quickly glaze over it. There are few authors who deserve their readers' eyes to graze over their writings, seeking those clever hidden treasures that make you a little wiser. A hidden secret once discovered. A moment where the author gives a little more of himself for those more faithful companions, this followed by sadness when you realize how many will go without knowing about this literary morsel.
My problem with writing is that I feel compelled to teach something, distort the story so that an obvious moral is taught, (e.g. the passive voice should not be used!) my older self is starting to realize that the experience of journeying through the story brings one farther, teaches more, and is more enjoyable. It is the diffusion of a lush experience filled with growth, to a starved soul yearning for escape. So no more moralizing! Just adventure! No expletives to make a weak point strong

No comments:

Post a Comment